Job Title: Managing Director
Location: French Speaking Africa
Reports To: SOMC Vice President/Board of Directors
Job Type: Senior Manager/Expatriate
The Managing Director will manage a large-scale 24-hour, 7 days per week, modern food processing operation located in French speaking Africa. Responsibilities will include providing leadership to develop and grow the business, achieving profitability through implementation of a plan based on detailed analysis and strategic thinking; creatively and developing a strategic business plan for growth that will include annual goals, objectives, budgets and targets with key performance indicators.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Propose and execute the company’s strategic business plan.
- Responsible for managing all department heads in the company.
- Develop and oversee the commercial/sales department.
- Develop and oversee port and mill operations; communicate regularly with mill management and assist when necessary.
- Develop and oversee the finance and administration departments of the company.
- Oversee all safety matters to provide the safest environment possible for employees and other stakeholders.
- Oversee and manage development of new products and distribution of all products.
- Oversee branch offices to ensure efficiency and maximization of throughput and income.
- Monitor, manage and approve daily credit control of all credit clients.
- Develop and implement cost/profit center budgets.
- Oversee cost control and margin maximization.
- Maintain daily/weekly/monthly management reports.
- Proactively review and approve weekly/monthly financial reports; review income and cash-flow projections.
- Ensure company is operating in a continuous improvement environment by encouraging new ideas through open communication.
- Oversee and prepare proposals and implement approved projects for new business projects and capital expenditures in a most efficient and timely manner.
- Proactively communicate with key stakeholders and partners, BOD and government officials as necessary.
- Manage primary raw material inventory levels and other ingredients in an efficient manner to avoid any grind-out and/or production delays, while maintaining an optimized grist cost.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with key customers that will include regular on site visits.
- Manage and develop the management team for further opportunities; including development of key point person when MD is absent.
- In coordination with company legal counsel and retained counsel, ensure all legal matters are being proactively addresses to protect the company and its assets.
- Oversee and manage employee relations including collective bargaining negotiations, structuring, discipline and recruitment.
- The responsibilities outlined in this job description are not a comprehensive list; additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time.
Education & Experience
- University degree in related field required.
- 10+ years management experience with an industrial operations or manufacturing company, preferably in flour milling or similar industry.
- Understanding of agricultural commodities markets required.
- Experience with managing commercial, industrial or logistical operations in a developing country.
- Experience with food distribution preferred.
- Fluency in French and English required.
- Demonstrated strong leadership/decision making skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels required.
- Experience with combating theft and fraud in a developing country environment required.
- Must be in good physical health.
- Travel outside of main countries as needed for conferences and further personal development.
- Able to operate in complex and stressful working environments.