Location Spotlight: RussellStone Protein
Affiliate: RussellStone Protein
Location: Bronkhorstspruit, Gauteng, South Africa
Year Opened: 2013
Products/Services offered by RussellStone Protein:
Soybean Meal, Soybean Crude oil, Soybean Hulls and Soybean Full Fat.
A normal day at RussellStone Protein:
- Production – Driving consistent Quality and Output
- Loading of Final Products
- Security and Safety
- Quality Control
- Boiler Operations
- Monday to Friday day-shifts (07h00 – 16h30)
- Eight-hour shifts (07h00 – 15h00 and 14h00 – 22h00)
- Twelve-hour shifts (Two day -Two night, 06h00 – 18h00 and 18h00 – 06h00)
Beans are received through a conveying system from the nearby silo’s. The beans then go through a cleaning process to remove the leaves, sticks etc. The beans are then conditioned to prepare them for removing the hulls and extracting the oil. The hulls are then removed via a hot-dehulling system, they are cracked, flaked and expanded. The collets are then transported to solvent plant extractor where hexane removes the oil from the collets.
The hexane-oil mixture called miscella then undergoes a distillation process to remove the hexane from the oil. The oil is degummed and sent to storage tanks. Next, the remainder of the collets go into a system called a DTDC where the balance of the hexane is removed and the product is cooked to inactivate the enzymes.
The product is then taken through a hammermill and sent to storage. The product-flow stays mainly within closed conveyors and machinery throughout the process of Preparation whereas the Extraction-Plant conveys the product in a vacuum as we utilize the Hexane as a solvent. So, containing this solvent in vacuum is crucial. As well as, keeping the closed system throughout is important to prevent possible contamination from outside sources.
How many employees/collaborators work at RussellStone Protein?
RussellStone Protein currently employs 168 employees.
What are the typical daily challenges that RussellStone Protein faces?
Typical challenges include:
- Fluctuating bean – and consumable quality
What is the latest project or improvement RussellStone Protein went through?
The last improvement we made was the installation of two additional boilers and Starting Full fat production.
Are there any new projects developing in RussellStone Protein soon?
Yes, our Medium Fat production and TSP.
What makes RussellStone Protein unique or different to others?
We are unique because we have a diversifying approach, achieving consistent high-quality products while delivering client service at a personal level.
What was the last social event, gathering, or celebration you had at RussellStone Protein?
As RussellStone Protein we like to celebrate annually and thank our employees for the hard work and dedication during the previous year with a year-end function/day filled with fun, games, team building and lots of food. During each of these events, as well as the last one we honor employees that have excelled and gone over and beyond what was expected of them.
How’s life in this location? Weather, economy, infrastructure, traffic, government, society, etc.?
Bronkhorstspruit has a warm farming community, but always has worse weather-patterns than the surrounding areas. This is because Bronkhorstspruit is located in a lower geographic area than its surrounding towns and cities. So, it is much colder during the winter-season. It is also known as the place of the mist (Kungwini).
Next, Bronkhorstspruit has somewhat of a steady infrastructure when it comes to buildings, as some developers and business owners has started to see potential in giving some of the existing buildings needed attention and face-lifts. With the Kusile Project just around the corner, a significant increase in housing is also evident.
Bronkhorstspruit is also located on one of the main highways and gives us access to most of our clients in a 150km radius.
What is special about RussellStone Protein’s location? Touristic spots or interesting things to see and do, etc.
- RussellStone Protein is located directly next to the Afgri Bronkhorstspruit Silo’s, which ensures easy access, constant availability and quality Soybeans, year-round.
- The Plant is also easily accessible to clients, suppliers and connected parties due to it being situated close to the N4-Highway.
- The company is also situated close to Bronkhorstspruit’s Informal Settlement, Zithobeni and is central to Witbank, Cullinan, Rayton and Pretoria, which makes it easy to employ a diverse work-force, enabling Management to select from a vast variety of skilled and educated employees. As well as to develop local skills through empowering some of the initiatives cultivated between our team and the residents of Zithobeni.
- Fo Guang Shan Nan Hua Temple
- Anton Smit Sculpture Park
- Bronkhorstspruit dam