Location: Nouaceur, Casablanca – Morocco
Year opened: 2009
Products/Services offered by Zalar:
Production and distribution of processed poultry meat products, as well as poultry cuts in various forms. Zalar is the second largest player in the Moroccan poultry meat processing segment. Most of its products are marketed under the locally well-known ‘Dindy’ brand.
In addition, Zalar recently started to export canned poultry meat to West Africa and the Middle East, and expanded its operations by adding more products (Distribution of various forms of cheese, Production and Distribution of spices).
A normal day at Zalar:
There are 2 main activities:
- Production: Plant employees are responsible for the production of processed meat products and poultry cuts. Teams usually work for 8 hour shifts, usually ranging from 8 am to 12 am every day. The production line can be described as follows:
- Raw material storage
- Blending and grinding
- Embossing (Stuffing)
- Distribution: The Commercial team in charge of the distribution side of the business, is constituted by salespeople, drivers and merchandisers. There are 2 main distribution channels:
- Traditional: Our salesforce directly targets small convenience stores and ‘mahlabats’ (small stores that sell juices, dairy products, and sandwiches, they are very popular in Morocco) with vehicles
- Modern: Team of 80 people that visit the large-scale supermarkets to make sure that our products are conform and correctly displayed, and also manage stocks
How many employees work at Zalar:
Zalar counts around 300 employees/collaborators.
What are the typical daily challenges Zalar faces?
Zalar is one of the largest players in the domestic processed meat market, ‘Dindy’ products are consumed daily. High-quality products are an absolute requirement for us. Every day, very strict health and hygiene standards need to be followed. We need to make sure that our products are completely traceable and safe. In that regard, ‘Dindy’ has an ISO 22000 certification and is the first domestic brand to obtain the ‘Halal’ label.
The distribution side of the business also presents daily challenges. Indeed, products have to be distributed on time every day. The follow up of the distribution is a critical point for Zalar’s success: Being able to properly analyze distribution data is in fact an important daily challenge.
What’s the latest project or improvement Zalar went through?
One year ago, Zalar initiated a complete reshaping of its distribution system, with the objective of covering the whole country with direct distribution VS the old model that was using external distributors for some regions.
We have indeed invested in new Hand-Held Terminals for our drivers. They allow us to follow several indicators in real time: Location (GPS), What product is being sold? To whom? At which frequency?
Are there any new projects developing at Zalar?
Zalar is also investing in its Marketing segment, with the goal of positioning the ‘Dindy’ brand as a market leader.
What makes Zalar unique or different to others?
Zalar is quite different compared to Zalar’s other subsidiaries. Indeed, it is the only subsidiary where Marketing and Distribution are the main keys to success. At Zalar, we do not mention « Volume » first, we mention « Value »; « Optimization »; « Marketing campaign». ‘Dindy’ is the sole B2C brand of Zalar, and Zalar’s strength is directly linked to the brand’s strength, that currently benefits from excellent spontaneous brand awareness among the public (~98%).
What was the last social event, gathering, or celebration you had at Zalar?
In June 2018, Zalar organized a team building for all its employees, with the goals of increasing team cohesion, training commercial teams, and presenting the Company’s new strategy.
How’s life in this location? Weather, economy, infrastructure, traffic, government, society, etc.?
Life in Morocco is characterized by the following elements:
- Political stability: The monarchy has been around for more than 3 centuries and has guaranteed stability in the region’s recent turmoil
- Cost efficiency:
- Low salary costs: Average Moroccan salary ~320$/month
- Growing and Stable economy
- Modern infrastructure:
- Developed national highway and railway networks
- Morocco have been ranked 1st in North Africa in terms of the quality of infrastructure by the Global Competitiveness Index – WEF 2016-2017
- Several state-of-the-art infrastructure projects have recently been launched/completed: Port of Tanger-Med, High-Speed train TGV…
- Good business environment: Morocco was ranked 2nd in Africa and 4th in the MENA region in the Doing Business 2017 ranking
- Good weather all year round
What is special about Zalar’s location? Touristic spots or interesting things to see and do, etc.
Morocco is characterized by the diversity and richness of its landscapes: Desert in the south, beautiful white sand beaches in the North and South, inland mountains…
The Kingdom of Morocco is more than 300 years old, and features a vast historical and cultural heritage that can be discovered in the imperial cities: Rabat, Marrakech, Fez and Meknes.
The country also sets itself apart with its welcoming population and its rich gastronomy.