Explore open positions in 40+ operations that span across Africa, South America, North America & The Caribbean.
Job Title: Managing Director
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reports To: Board of Directors
Job Type: Senior Manager
The Managing Director will manage a large-scale 24-hour, 7 days per week, modern animal feed processing operation located in Ecuador. Responsibilities will include providing leadership to develop and grow the business, achieving profitability through implementation of a plan based on detailed analysis and strategic thinking; creatively and developing a strategic business plan for growth that will include annual goals, objectives, budgets and targets with key performance indicators.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Propose and execute the company’s strategic business plan.
- Responsible for managing all department heads in the company.
- Develop and oversee the commercial/sales department.
- Manage and develop the company hog production operations, and sales/marketing of live hogs
- Develop and oversee the finance and administration departments of the company.
- Oversee all safety matters to provide the safest environment possible for employees and other stakeholders.
- Oversee and manage development of new products and distribution of all products.
- With the Financial Controller, oversee daily credit control of all credit clients.
- Approve and monitor cost/profit center budgets.
- Oversee cost control and margin maximization.
- Maintain daily/weekly/monthly management reports.
- Proactively review and approve weekly/monthly financial reports; review income and cashflow projections.
- Ensure company is operating in a continuous improvement environment by encouraging new ideas through open communication.
- Support and monitor Financial Controller’s oversight and implementation of key internal controls to ensure accurate accounting and fraud prevention.
- Oversee and prepare proposals and implement approved projects for new business projects and capital expenditures, including approval of annual capital expenditure budget, in a most efficient and timely manner.
- Proactively communicate with key stakeholders and partners, BOD and government officials as necessary.
- Manage primary raw material inventory levels and local purchases from as many suppliers same with other ingredients in an efficient manner to avoid any grind-out and/or production delays, while maintaining an optimized grist cost.
- Manage primary raw material inventory levels and work collaboratively with Seaboard Overseas purchasing office in Bogota to source materials.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with key customers that will include regular on-site visits.
- Manage and develop the management team for further opportunities; including development of key point person when MD is absent.
- In coordination with company legal counsel and retained counsel, ensure all legal matters are being proactively addresses to protect the company and its assets.
- Oversee and manage employee relations including collective bargaining negotiations, structuring, discipline, and recruitment.
- Lead monthly calls with shareholders to discuss results, strategic direction and any issues impacting the business currently and in the future.
- The responsibilities outlined in this job description are not a comprehensive list; additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time.
Education & Experience
- University degree in related field required
- 10+ years management experience with an industrial operations or manufacturing company, preferably in feed manufacturing or animal protein production (shrimp and/or hogs ideally)
- Understanding of agricultural commodities markets required
- Experience with managing commercial, industrial, or logistical operations in a developing country
- Experience with distribution preferred
- Fluency in Spanish and English required
- Demonstrated strong leadership/decision making skills required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels required
- Must be in good physical health
- Travel outside of main countries as needed for conferences and further personal development.
- Must be able to operate in complex and stressful working environments.
- Must be able to maintain good relations with governmental authorities especially those involved in the import of raw materials.